Thursday, January 16, 2014

resolutions & a few good reads


* EDITED TO ADD (again):  Here is another post I wrote a few weeks ago.  If nothing else, at least I am cleaning out my "drafts" folder!  HAPPY THURSDAY, friends!!




A new year.  A fresh start!  Does this excite you??  It does me!  Although I have learned invaluable lessons and grown in my relationship with Christ (as well as with many others), this past year and a half would not be one I would necessarily sign up to repeat any time soon -- if ever.  Many of you may feel the same way.  I am not one to make resolutions.  Mainly because I am not one to KEEP them!  Having said that, I have made a few, umm...let's call them PERSONAL GOALS, for myself and my son.  
  1. Morning Quiet Time:  JP and I are pretty consistent with our Bible reading/devotions.  We have always done them at bedtime.  I certainly do not feel that there is a "right" or "wrong" with this, as long as you are spending time in the Word.  However, my new goal is to have this time first thing in the morning.  It serves several purposes.  A) NEITHER of us are morning people.  So, by approaching the Throne when we first get up, we are making a small sacrifice.  It is not easy, and definitely does not come naturally.  We will be stepping outside of our comfort zone.   B)  I feel like this teaches JP (and myself) that spending time with Jesus should come FIRST in our day -- not last.  And C) It simply begins the day on the right track.  So, we'll see how this goes.  We began this January 1st and it's working well so far!
  2. Volunteering:  I was inspired by an interview I watched on FOX news with Candice Cameron Bure.  She, along with her husband and three kids, take advantage of a variety of volunteer opportunities in their area.  For example, every Christmas morning they serve homeless people in a shelter and then sit down and eat breakfast with them.  How cool is that??  I am not sure what exactly JP and I will do.  I have been on GOOGLE today researching different ideas.  I'll keep you up to date with this one, but my thought is that maybe once every month (or two) JP and I can serve our community in some fashion.  I think it would be very rewarding and an amazing experience for both of us.
Those are the two GOALS I have set for the time being. 

Maybe there are a few of you out there who are looking to add a quiet time to your routine?  If so, I thought would share with you a few of the resources I have enjoyed. 


I read from Sarah Young's Jesus Calling with JP.  I must admit, though, that I enjoy this one just as much as he does.  I strongly recommend this read for your kiddos.  Each (short) devotion is written from Jesus TO the reader.  I would probably suggest reading this with children AT LEAST five years of age and older.  There are times when it is over JP's head, (he is seven), but he understands the gist of it. 


If you or your child have an iPad, The Bible App for Kids is a pretty good one.  It's interactive and easy for them to maneuver on their own.  Unlike the Jesus Calling devotional, this app is geared towards the younger kids, in my opinion.  JP still enjoys listening to the stories and answering the True/False question at the end of the passage.  It's FREE -- what have you got to lose?!



This is not the greatest picture, but I keep this little treasure in the bathroom (as you can see).  "Power Thoughts"  by Joyce Meyer.  This book is great for those of us who do not always have time to sit down in the mornings and read for fifteen or twenty minutes.  Basically, the whole idea of this book is the importance of positive thinking.  Speaking prayers out loud and memorizing scripture along with a "power thought."  It has been a great reminder to me that, by filling my mind up with GOD, there is little room left for negativity.  And we all need to be reminded of that, right? 


Well, I hope that these help you to get started, or at least give you a few ideas!  Have a GREAT day!!


Until next time...





No comments:

Post a Comment