Tuesday, December 10, 2013

i am officially jolly

It has taken some work to get this girl into the Christmas spirit this year.   I won't lie, it is a DAILY choice, but I feel like I have definitely had success.  I have made a conscious effort to engage in specific activities with the kids pertaining to Christmas.  This serves two purposes -- it fosters my "merry" attitude (stop rolling your eyes!) and the kiddos have fun and are happy. 

So, in this post, I thought I would share with you a handful of  "Get into the Christmas Spirit" activities.  Some of them, I have done over the past few weeks and a couple I am planning to do. 

1) Make Christmas cookies


Everybody can do this.  Even if you HATE cooking/baking or anything that resembles it.  You can go all out and make them from scratch, (not me!), or you can drop by your local grocery store and find ALL SORTS of pre cut Christmas cookie patterns.  This year, the boys and I are sharing this activity with friends!  That adds a little extra fun.

2) Hot chocolate anyone?

 
Unlike most Americans, I do not like coffee.  GASP!  But is there anyone who does not like hot chocolate?!  I don't think so.  Again, this is super simple.  I let the kids open the packet, add the water/milk and stir in the chocolate and marshmallows.  (For those of you who are teachers, you can even get wild and have the little ones count the marshmallows as they drop them in the mug!)  For the record, I didn't do that!  Haha. We drank this yummy sweetness in front of the Christmas tree with the lights on.  Simple, but joyful. 
 
3)  Read books!
 
 
 
This is one of my favorites!  The boys and I do this often.  There are so many really great books out there that celebrate Christmas.  If you are not from a religious background or have a Christian faith, you can find books about Santa or giving.  The local library or bookstore carries ample books that spotlight all denominations and varying beliefs.  Pictured above is my favorite.  Hands down.  It is a beautiful story about Jesus and our place in this life.  Please note, you do not have to BUY these books.  Go to the library and check them out.  Or, I have actually carried JP and Preston to Barnes and Noble and sat on the floor of the children's section and read to them.  All that matters is that you READ.  And they LOVE it.
 
4)  Add a little color
 
 
 
I love to color.  Many nights, we have coloring contests in our house!  This is another activity that costs little or nothing at all.  I pick up crayons and holiday coloring/activity books at the dollar store and we're good to go.  If you really wanna JAZZ things up, grab a few glue sticks, construction paper, child appropriate scissors and glitter!  Spread everything out on the table and you can be sure the kids will find something to do with it! 
 
5)  Holiday movie night!
 
 
 
Another easy one.  After dinner and baths, bring the sweet-smelling bundles of joy into the television room, pop some pop corn and settle in for a night of entertainment.  If your kids are anything like ours, they'll likely fall asleep.  At that point, you can switch from PG animation to the Hallmark channel! 
 
6)  Roper Mountain Holiday Lights
 
 
 
This is targeted to my local friends.  You MUST visit this!  You can go on the website to double check, but I know, at one time, it cost something like $5/car to go in.  Once you're in, there is hot chocolate/coffee, Santa and various activities to enjoy in addition to the beautiful lights.  BONUS:  If you are an educator, carry your pass and you get in for free.
 
7) Festival of Lights @ James Island County Park
 
 
 
You will definitely roll your eyes at this one.  If you have not been to see the Festival of Lights on James Island in Charleston, you are missing out.  No excuses.  Pack up your car and head down to the low country and experience this with your children!  From Greenville, you can easily get to Charleston in a few hours.  We have driven down, spent the day on the beach or downtown and then seen the lights in the evening.  Inside the park, there are many activities to enjoy.  A trail, a train and Santa's workshop.  LOTS of fun, trust me!!  Again, if you do not have the means to make it a weekend getaway or an overnight trip, if you are from the Upstate, it can be done in one day.  You will not regret it - gas money well spent.  Promise!
 
 
Okay, I stole this last little treat idea from a friend.  I have not yet tried this, but will be making them with the boys in the near future!  We might even leave Santa and his reindeer one or two. 
 
Snowmen
 

 
The only ingredients you need are pictured above.  Powdered donuts, small Reese's peanut butter cups and toothpicks.
 
 
They will end up looking a little something like this.  I couldn't find the exact picture my friend used. I, personally, will turn the Reese cups upside down and stick the toothpicks (or pretzel sticks) in the sides for arms.  YUMMY!
 
Now, you should have plenty to keep you busy until the big day arrives! 
 
Until next time...
 
 
 
 











1 comment:

  1. So many great activities! We do a lot of these, but I'm going to add the powdered donut snowman to my list.

    ReplyDelete