Friday, December 20, 2013

soap box

I am going to keep this VERY short and sweet.  I could go on for pages on this topic, but I will spare you.  For two reasons:  1)  I have said it before, but I will never allow this blog to become a platform for spiritual, religious, moral or political arguments.  And 2)  I am on my way to bed because I have strep throat and feel really crappy!

I am sure you have all heard of the controversy surrounding the star from Duck Dynasty.  For those of you who may not have heard, one of the stars from the show has been suspended permanently.  Apparently, in a recent interview, he was asked his stance on same-sex marriage.  I won't attempt to quote him, but he basically said that it was a sin.  From what I DID read, he was not judgemental, condemning or hateful.  He simply answered the question. 

I can't say that I have seen a full episode of Duck Dynasty.  I don't like it.  I know, I know!  I am definitely in the minority.  Don't get me wrong, I am a Southern girl.  I love country music and a good pair of boots.  I just can't seem to get into the whole back woods, hillbilly humor.  I don't think they're funny.   I definitely do not like camouflage, hunting or long beards. Sorry, but it's the truth.  Having said all of that, my heart goes out to this man and his family.  We do live in America, right?!  When did it become unacceptable to share an opinion.  Or, in this case, a belief?  I would be the first to shake my head if he had been nasty towards the homosexual community, but he wasn't.  How very sad!  Rest assured, if a television star was fired from their position on a show because they were gay, all HELL would break loose.  The media would eat them alive!  Someone please explain to me how this is any different.  Christ-followers are accused of being "intolerant."  (And a lot of them are!)  But, is firing someone because of their Christian beliefs not a form of intolerance?  Is it not discrimination?  I am confused.

That's really all I have to say about this.  Even though I do not watch the show, I sincerely hope and pray it does not go off the air for this reason. 

HAPPY WEEKEND!

Until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment